I am so pleased and proud to announce that I have been nominated for a Liebster award! I have heard about the award and had read a few blogs who had been nominated but never imagined that I would end up being nominated, especially so early on in my blogging life –big smiles all round!
I was nominated by Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile (isn’t that such a wonderful name for a blog!), whose blog I have only just been introduced to but am already loving reading. She has such a kind heart and spirit and this just shines throughout her writing – always with an upbeat and positive mentality. I love her attitude to food and the way she understands how a healthy lifestyle with healthy foods can be exciting and fun.
Here are the ins and outs of how the award works…
The Liebster Award is a fun survey to get to know and acknowledge some of the blogs with few followers. Once you’ve been nominated, you pass this lovely award on to other blogs. Here’s how it works:
After receiving the nomination, the blogger must:
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger;
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself;
3. Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you;
4. List 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers (as best as you can tell based on the info provided!). They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers that you nominated to answer; and
6. Let all of the bloggers know that they’ve been nominated. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you.
So here we go!
11 Random Facts about me:
1. I have two middle names – Margaret and Audrey. They were both my Grandma’s first names.
2. I have been both a home owner and home seller by the age of 27. David and I bought our first home in Inverness four and a half years ago, believing that is where we wanted to settle down. Then we realised we wanted so much more from life and really missed the buzz of a big city. The more travelling we did around the world the more we realised we wanted to experience more of the world – hence the big move to Glasgow. And we LOVE it here – the buzz, culture, people, good vibes. Will we be here forever? Who knows, but we love the ‘moment’ and look forward to what the future may bring.
3. My eye colour frequently changes – green to brown to either with blue speckles. Current colour, mainly green.
4. I am petrified of the doctors and dentists. I avoid them at all costs, especially the dentists (fingers crossed I never get tooth ache) – I literally cannot walk in the building. My fear of all things medicinal even stems down to the fact that I am too scared to get my ears pierced.
5. I only support one sports team – the Atlanta Falcons in American Football. David and I did a road trip around the southern states of America for our honeymoon, fantastic trip. We both liked football and were trying to work out who to support. Because our trip began and ended in Atlanta, we went for them. Go Falcons!
6. I have a Master of Arts degree in History and American Studies from the University of Dundee.
7. There is only 1 city in Scotland I have not lived in – Perth. I have lived in the other 5 – Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Inverness and Glasgow. Yes Scotland doesn’t have that many cities!
8. I don’t like chocolate! Love the smell, hate the taste and have done since I was a kid.
9. I have been to the top of (or as high as they will allow!) the tallest building in the world – the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Breathtaking.
10. My maiden name is Hicks.
11. My favourite band in the whole world is Iron Maiden! However I do have a very eclectic taste and like all kinds of music. Most are surprised when they find out I like heavy metal though!
11 Questions from Maggie
1. If you worked in a typical school cafeteria, how would you “healthify” the menu?
– I would take away all ‘processed’, unhealthy, sugar filled products and replace them with local, seasonal, real food. But it cannot stop in the cafeteria, kids must be taught in class as to why real foods are the way to go, why it is good for them, where it came from and be more hands on with food. Maybe get 1 class per week to work with cafeteria workers on prepping and cooking one of the meals for lunchtime.
2. What is your guilty pleasure?
– I love to watch Keeping up with the Kardashians and Khloe and Lamar! I respect that family so much and think they are great people with great values.
3. If you could pack a suitcase to anywhere right now, what would you pack and where would you go?
– I am torn by this question! Either the Middle East (Oman or UAE) or the deep south USA – especially Tennessee! Essential packing however – David, my Birkenstocks, sun cream, travel books and research notes (I never travel without doing my research first – don’t want to miss out on anything!).
4. Have you ever lived in another country? Where and for how long?
– I was born in England and brought up in Scotland, does that count?
5. What’s your least favorite household chore?
– I don’t mind vacuum cleaning but I hate emptying the vacuum cleaner! Dusty mess!
6. What are your 5 must-have foods?
– Oh my goodness, I can’t believe I only get to pick 5! Ok, the first one is easy, Greek yoghurt, to be precise, Total 0% Greek yoghurt. Has to be the best and could not imagine this joy not being in my life. Second would be dates. They truly are amazing and I fell in love with them when I went to Oman. I can totally see why the Bedouins could live on these bad boys. Following closely on from that would be prunes (or dried plums depending on where you are from) – I have them every day for my mid afternoon snack. Partly for some extra fiber, mostly because I love them and have never grown tired of them. Fourth would be almond butter – seriously is there anything in the world that couldn’t be made better with a bit of almond butter on top?! Finally, rounding off the top five it would be eggs, you can do so many nutritious meals with them, the list is never ending. I truly wonder food!
7. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
– The ability to tan. I have my Mums Scottish ‘pasty white’ genes and it sucks!
8. If you could go back to any age and relive it, which age would you choose and why?
– Nope I would never go back, only forwards. I wouldn’t be where I am today if I hadn’t experienced both the good and the bad of the past and I wouldn’t risk altering that.
9. Who’s your favorite Disney princess?
– I think it would have to be Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I love her desire and thirst for knowledge, how she takes care of her father and how she could see past the Beast’s façade into his soul and thus fall in love. Aww, makes me want to watch the film again! Although Princess Aurora from Sleeping Beauty would be a close second!
10. If you were forced to survive on a desert island, who would you bring with you and why?
– My husband David. I couldn’t imagine being anywhere without him. He is my husband, best friend and soul mate all rolled into one.
11. What is one of your biggest regrets?
– Not learning to drive when I was 17. I didn’t have the money at that age for lessons and even if I did pass I wouldn’t have been able to afford a car so didn’t see the point. Now it is a major bummer not having a license but I am learning and hopefully will pass my test soon. Watch this space!
My 11 nominated bloggers…
I must admit, as I am pretty new to blogging, I don’t have 11 people to nominate. I do however, and would rather acknowledge, 6 of my favourite blogs and bloggers who I love following. Some have over 200 followers and if this is you please see this nomination simply as an acknowledgement that I really love to read your blog and want to spread your word!
1. Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
2. Melissa @ Adventures in Eating Real Food
3. Lauren @ I had a Big Lunch
4. Miranda @ Miranda Runs
5. Nicole @ FruitNFitness
6. Karen @ Runner Girl Eats
11 questions for my bloggers to answer
- What is your favourite herb or spice?
- Do you have any irrational fears?
- What is your favourite food and drink to have for breakfast? (My favourite meal of the day!)
- Where in the world do you feel your happiest?
- What 3 songs would feature on your road trip mix tape? (Mix tape… old school!)
- If you were the leader of your country for one hour, what one law would you pass?
- What animal best represents you?
- What is your favourite holiday?
- Which famous person do you most admire?
- What gadget could you not live without?
And something completely random to finish off…
11. What is your favourite orange thing? (Orange being my favourite colour!).
Enjoy everyone! Readers please feel free to answer some of these questions too; I would love to know some of your answers.
And thanks again to Maggie for the nomination; this has been so much fun to do!